This Dark Chocolate Tart with Walnut Crust is piled high with fresh berries, adding a touch of tart and sweet to the divinely rich filling. Guests will never believe it's a grain-free, dairy-free + Paleo-Friendly dessert!
I love this tart recipe, and so does everyone else in my family. But truth be told, we love it for different reasons. They love it because it's delicious and healthy-ish for a dessert (dark chocolate, walnut and berries, people). Plus, I'll usually make it for them when they ask. I love it because it's delicious, too - but mostly because the crust is so damn easy to prepare, I could almost do it in my sleep. The hardest part of making the crust is getting the ingredients out and lining the pan. Can't say that with pastry!
The knockout dark chocolate filling goes next-level with a touch of espresso powder. Have you ever wondered why the brownies and chocolate cake at the bakery have way more flavor than yours do at home? Espresso powder is the answer.
I always top my Dark Chocolate Tart with Walnut Crust with about a pint of fresh berries. I pick up whatever is in season - the filling is super rich, so I usually mix it up to add a little tart and a little fresh sweetness.
You could serve your Dark Chocolate Tart with Walnut Crust with coffee - I love coffee so much, I wrote a book about it - but I usually serve it with the same red wine I drank with dinner. Or a new bottle, depending on who's at the table with me.
If you love simple berry desserts, try these Individual Blueberry Crisps. If Paleo-friendly chocolate desserts are more your speed, these Fresh Figs with Date Caramel, Dark Chocolate + Pistachios are fabulous. My Grain-Free Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies also hard to beat!
Dark Chocolate Tart with Walnut Crust and Fresh Berries
For the crust:
- 12 ounces walnuts
- ¼ cup coconut sugar OR cane sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (1 ounce) melted coconut oil
For the filling:
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips dairy free if desired
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned coconut cream
- 12 ounces fresh berries
Prepare the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray an 8-inch fluted tart pan with gluten-free pan spray and line with a parchment paper circle. Set aside.
- Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the nuts are a fine meal. Add coconut sugar and salt, pulse to combine. Add the egg and oil and pulse until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Press the dough into the prepared tart pan and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the filling:
- Pour the chocolate chips into a blender and add salt, espresso powder, vanilla and the egg. Pulse the blender to mix the egg throughout the chocolate. Warm the coconut cream in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, until quite hot but not scalded. While blending, pour the cream in a thin stream through the pour spout in the blender lid until it’s all added. Scrape down the sides and blend another few seconds, or until smooth.
- Immediately pour the filling into the crust and smooth the top. Refrigerate for at least two hours, top with berries and serve.
Photos: Alycia Moreno
Let Us Know What You Think