One of the highlights of summer in California is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. Watermelon, in particular, has always been one of my favorites. Just imagine the satisfaction you get from biting into a crisp, juicy slice of watermelon. Can’t you taste the sweet flavors? Don’t you feel the sun shining down on you? Sliced watermelon is totally delicious, but why not shake things up a bit? This Summer Watermelon Salad recipe is a great way to use juicy, vine ripened watermelons and comes together in a flash. Simply chop up the watermelon into bite sized cubes. Then, toss it with crumbled Feta cheese, fresh basil and shallots. Totally simple, right? The sweetness of the fruit is countered by the salty, savory ingredients. Take one bite and you’ll see why this is KC’s favorite summer salad!
So, if you’re looking to shake up your side dish game, try this Summer Watermelon Salad recipe. It’s a great alternative to traditional fruit salad and can be prepared in under ten minutes! Whip up a batch to serve at your next pool party or cookout. Pair it with my Peach Glazed Chicken and my friend Meg’s Apple and Berry Rosé Sangria.
If you’re dairy-free, swap the Feta for a handful of chopped roasted + salted macadamia nuts, or use one on the DF Feta cheeses on the market.
Summer Watermelon Salad
- 3 1/2 lbs seedless watermelon cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 medium shallots thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves cut into thin strips
- 4 oz Feta cheese broken into large pieces
- Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste
- Combine sliced shallots & lime juice in a small bowl for a few minutes.
- Then, in a large bowl, toss the watermelon, basil, Feta & shallot mixture.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper.
- Serve & enjoy!
Photos by my friend Meg of This Mess Is Ours.
I just can’t get enough of this salad!