This grain-free apple crisp recipe is easy to put together and so delicious, no one will miss the grains! It’s Paleo-friendly too, and dairy-free (assuming you use coconut oil instead of butter). I’ve tried this grain-free apple crisp recipe with fresh mixed berries, peaches and apricots too – it’s equally delicious. I usually swap cardamom for the cinnamon when I’m using berries, but otherwise everything is just the same.
I serve this grain-free apple crisp recipe warm for dessert, sometimes topped with whipped coconut cream or ice cream. Is also perfect at room temperature the next day, I eat it for breakfast if there’s any left!
Grain-Free Apple Crisp Recipe
- 5 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 4 TBSP maple syrup, divided
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 2 TBSP tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated or finely shredded
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Lightly grease a 9 or 10-inch deep dish pie pan or cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, 1 TBSP maple syrup, vanilla, tapioca starch, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt until well mixed. Pour apple mixture into prepared pan, scraping down sides to get all the juice into the pan.
- Add walnuts, coconut, coconut flour, butter or oil, and remaining maple syrup, cinnamon and salt into the same large mixing bowl and stir to thoroughly combine. Crumble this mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until apples are bubbly and top is golden brown.
photo credit: Katie Roletto from our days at Love With Food