This Strawberry Shortcake recipe from our friend Sarah is fresh, delicious, gluten-free & dairy-free too!
My most favorite summer dessert…strawberry shortcake. Hands down. No contest. I’m not sure what part I love the most. It may be the whipped cream, which is magically dairy free. I’m not a huge frosting person. I like to keep it a simple with a vanilla cake, topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. There’s just nothing better. So when I think of the most glorious strawberry shortcake, I think of pure perfection on a cake stand.
So Delicious has a super fun campaign going on right now, just in time for summer. They’re calling it “Save Summer” and it’s a photo challenge on instagram. Each week, So Delicious is putting out a different theme for the photos. Be sure to follow them on instagram so you can have a chance to win some cool prizes. Just don’t forget to tag your photos with #savemysummer. It’s as easy as pie. Or cake.
The theme this week is “build it” so I’ve built a three-layer gluten, egg and dairy free strawberry shortcake, just for all of you! Three layers of fluffy vanilla cake, three layers of the juiciest strawberries, and three layers of luscious whipped coconut cream. Each bite just gets better and better. Don’t be intimidated by this cake. It’s easy to put together and doesn’t have to be perfect. It’s a “build it” challenge. Have fun in the kitchen making this strawberry shortcake. I know I sure did!
Try Sarah's Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes recipe too!
Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
whipped coconut cream
- 3-11 oz. containers So Delicious culinary coconut milk, refrigerated overnight*
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 8-inch round baking pans by lining bottom with parchment paper and spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar, until curdled. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Place cakes on cooling racks. After 10 minutes, invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- To make whipped coconut cream, remove coconut milk from refrigerator. Cut open top of cotainers (you won’t be able to squeeze it out) and scoop out only coconut cream. Strain off all coconut water and save for another use. Place coconut cream and powdered sugar into large bowl of standing mixer. Whip on high for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Whip until combined.
- Once whipped coconut cream is ready, immediately assemble cake. Place one layer on cake stand/serving plate and top with an even layer of strawberries. Carefully spread ⅓ of whipped coconut cream on top of strawberries until even. Top with second cake layer, even layer of strawberries and ⅓ whipped coconut cream. Top with final cake layer and spread remaining strawberries, then whipped coconut cream evenly over top. Garnish with a few whole strawberries. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator. Serve same day.
- *If you cannot find So Delicious culinary coconut milk, you can use 3 cans full-fat coconut milk. Tasty Yummies has a great tutorial on whipped coconut cream and which brands work best!
Article by Sarah Bakes Gluten Free Treats