Many people think of strawberries as a summer fruit, but in California, we enjoy them in the springtime too! That’s why I’ll be entering these strawberry vanilla cupcakes into the Spring Fling Dairy Free Recipe Contest, put on by Go Dairy Free and So Delicious. You just can’t go wrong with these cupcakes. The strawberry flavor is so fresh. Make them into mini cupcakes for an adorable bite-size treat. Sweet as sweet can be!
Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes
strawberry vanilla cupcakes
vegan strawberry vanilla buttercream
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan butter cold
- 3 tablespoons organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar sifted
- 5-6 fresh strawberries pureed (2-3 tablespoons strawberry puree)
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- additional sliced strawberries for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper cupcake liners. Sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar. Stir until milk is curdled. Add the sugar, oil, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. Gently fold in diced strawberries. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pan. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Place cupcakes on cooling rack and cool completely.
- To make buttercream, start by placing strawberries in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. In mixing bowl of large standing mixer, beat together vegan butter and shortening for 1 minute. Add sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add an additional 1-2 teaspoons of puree if needed. Beat until buttercream is light and fluffy. Place in piping bag with large star tip and frost cooled cupcakes. Top with sliced strawberries. If frosting starts to soften, place cupcakes in refrigerator. Best served within 1-2 days. If not serving same day, store cupcakes in refrigerator.
- *For best results on texture and taste, be sure to make the lighter flour blend by replacing the 2 cups sweet white sorghum flour with white rice flour.