Strawberry shortcake is hands down a favorite summer dessert, this vegan, gluten-free and dairy free version is easy to whip up and incredibly delicious!
This vegan strawberry shortcake is 3 glorious layers of yum.
Strawberry shortcake is hands down a summer favorite, but why not year-round? Three layers of vanilla cake, topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit -a show stopper for any time of year. I’m not sure what part to love the most - the airy cake, the sweet and tangy berries, or the dreamy whipped coconut cream - magically dairy free. When I envisioned the most glorious strawberry shortcake, I thought of this pure perfection on a cake stand.
Coconut Whipped Cream -so easy.
To make whipped coconut cream, simply remove So Delicious Dairy Free Coconutmilk from refrigerator, cut open the containers and scoop out contents, and strain off coconut water to save for other use. Place coconut cream and powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl on standing mixer. Whip on high for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Whip until combined. See what I mean? So simple.
Why buy gluten-free flour when it is so easy to make?
Sarah's gluten free flour blend from Sarah Bakes Gluten Free which is featured in this recipe, is perfect for all of your gluten free baking! Sarah explains that the combination of flours and starches create just the right texture and flavor and that she now uses it in all of her recipes including cupcakes, cookies, muffins and pancakes. Happy gluten free baking!
Don't want Vegan Strawberry Shortcake? How about these other delicious strawberry recipes?
Click this link for The Best Fresh Strawberry Recipes To Try Now for a delicious collection of gluten-free strawberry recipes!
Gluten Free Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
whipped coconut cream
- 3-11 oz. containers So Delicious culinary coconut milk, refrigerated overnight*
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 3 8-inch round baking pans by lining bottom with parchment paper and spraying with nonstick cooking spray. Sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, stir together coconut milk, water and vinegar, until curdled. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture. Beat for 1 minute. Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Place cakes on cooling racks. After 10 minutes, invert onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- To make whipped coconut cream, remove coconut milk from refrigerator. Cut open top of cotainers (you won’t be able to squeeze it out) and scoop out only coconut cream. Strain off all coconut water and save for another use. Place coconut cream and powdered sugar into large bowl of standing mixer. Whip on high for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Whip until combined.
- Once whipped coconut cream is ready, immediately assemble cake. Place one layer on cake stand/serving plate and top with an even layer of strawberries. Carefully spread ⅓ of whipped coconut cream on top of strawberries until even. Top with second cake layer, even layer of strawberries and ⅓ whipped coconut cream. Top with final cake layer and spread remaining strawberries, then whipped coconut cream evenly over top. Garnish with a few whole strawberries. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator. Serve same day.
- *If you cannot find So Delicious culinary coconut milk, you can use 3 cans full-fat coconut milk. Tasty Yummies has a great tutorial on whipped coconut cream and which brands work best!
Sarah's Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes
Article by Sarah Bakes Gluten Free, Edited by Diana Losey