Most of you know that I LOVE So Delicious Dairy Free products! I mean…I use them in just about every recipe. I’m addicted. I always have a carton of their unsweetened coconut milk in my fridge. My coffee requires their coconut milk coffee creamer every morning. It’s a must! They are just such quality products that taste amazing and make my gluten free treats that much more fabulous!
Gluten Free Vegan Mocha Layer Cake
- 2 1/2 cups Sarah’s gluten free flour blend
- 2 cups organic cane sugar
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup sunflower seed oil or mild flavor oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2-3 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk coffee creamer
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
vegan chocolate ganache
- 2 cups dairy free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Dairy Free coconut milk coffee creamer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 8-inch round cake pans by lining bottom with parchment paper and spraying with cooking spray. In large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In microwave safe medium bowl, combine coconut milk and water. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm. Stir in the oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. Pour over flour mixture and beat for 1 minute. Evenly divide the cake batter between the 2 8-inch prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make buttercream, beat together the Earth Balance with the shortening for 1 minute in large bowl of standing mixer. In small bowl, dissolve instant coffee in the tablespoon of warm water. Add the coffee, sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons coffee creamer and vanilla. Beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add another tablespoon or 2 of the coffee creamer if needed. Beat the buttercream until light and fluffy.
- Place one layer of the cooled cake on serving platter or cake stand. Top with half of the buttercream and smooth out to the edges. Place remaining buttercream in piping bag with star tip and set aside. Top with the other cake layer and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. While it’s chilling, make the ganache. Mix chocolate chips and coffee creamer in small bowl. Place in microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for another 15 seconds. Whisk until chocolate chips are completely melted and ganache is smooth.
- Pour ganache over the top of the chilled cake. With an offset spatula, immediately spread the ganache evenly on the top, then the sides of cake (ganache sets fairly quickly). Place cake back in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes. Take piping bag with remaining buttercream and pipe rosettes on the top of the cake, starting with the outer edge. Sprinkle with candy pearls (optional). The cake can be stored in the refrigerator, just be sure to let it sit at room temperature for a couple hours before serving.