Kyra Bussanich of Kyra’s Bake Shop joined to me to make my FAVORITE one of her treats: Hazelnut Gluten-Free Financiers with Dark Chocolate Ganache.
Mildly sweet and nutty, these little bites are the perfect segue into fall, and the showstopper dessert on your holiday table. Serve them with a dollop of dark chocolate ganache (or use chocolate-hazelnut spread, it’s a simple cheat that’s way delish) for a decadent treat!
Don’t let the fancy name scare you – it’s really like making incredibly delicious muffins with filling. But they are SO. MUCH. BETTER. Kyra makes all kinds of treats – I’ve been known to hide her GF ding dongs from my kid – but if she’s making something just for me, she knows these gluten-free financiers are what I’ll ask for.
Hazelnut Gluten-Free Financiers with Dark Chocolate Ganache recipe, courtesy Kyra Bussanich, 4X Cupcake Wars winner + my soul sister
Gluten-Free Financiers With Chocolate Ganache
for the Dark Chocolate Ganache:
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
for the Financier batter:
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups ground hazelnut meal
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- egg whites from 5 large eggs
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Place the dark chocolate pieces in a glass or metal bowl. In a small sauce pot, scald the cream until the edges of the pot are just starting to bubble. Do not boil! Pour over the chocolate and let sit for a moment, to melt the chocolate. Stir slowly to incorporate the cream and chocolate together. It should start to thicken up as the chocolate gets melted completely and incorporated into the cream. Set in the fridge to chill and thicken even more. You are aiming for the consistency of peanut butter. Meanwhile, make the financiers.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small pot, heat the ¾ cup of butter over medium-high heat, occasionally swirling the pan until the butter begins to bubble and turn brown. Set aside to cool.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the 3 tablespoons of melted butter into 30 cavities of the mini muffin tins. Set aside.
- Whisk together the hazelnut meal, powdered sugar, potato starch, tapioca starch and salt. Add the egg whites and whisk to combine. While whisking vigorously, pour the browned butter into the batter and blend to a uniform texture. Using a small food scoop, fill each of the prepared muffin cavities 2/3 full. Bake 4 minutes to begin to set the financiers. While the little cakes are baking, fill a small pastry bag with chilled chocolate ganache. Pull the cakes from the oven, squeeze a small dollop of ganache into the center of each cake, and return the cakes to the oven. Drop the oven temperature to 350 degrees and finish baking until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove onto cooling racks and let cool at least 10 minutes before you eat them (so the ganache doesn’t burn your mouth!). Enjoy!