Looking for a delicious sangria recipe that’s a little bit EXTRA? Look no further. This Spiced Pomegranate Sangria is sure to please! All the flavors of the holidays packed into one delicious drink. And it's so simple to make, so it's just right to prepare when you've got a party to plan.
Full of all the warm flavors of mulling spices but served over ice, this Spiced Pomegranate Sangria cocktail always gets invited to the next bash.
For more pomegranate cocktail goodness, check out my Holiday Pomegranate Mojito too.
A note about pomegranates:
The ruby-red kernels found inside pomegranates are called correctly arils, even though they are often marketed as "pomegranate seeds". The aril contains the pomegranate seed and the juice of the fruit, wrapped in a thin membrane. Arils are actually even healthier than plain juice, because the seed itself contains punicic acid, in addition to all the superpowered-superfruit-goodness in pomegranate juice. You can find them in stores frozen, freeze dried, or fresh - or you can remove them from the whole pomegranate yourself. The seed inside gives arils a slight crunch, so I usually pair them with nuts or something crispy in recipes. They add a perfect little pop to cocktails!
Spiced Pomegranate Sangria
- 1 750-ml bottle full-bodied red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 zest and juice of 1 orange
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 ½ cups pomegranate juice
- pomegranate arils and clove-studded orange, for garnish (optional, but encouraged!) slices
- Pour the wine into a large pan and add cinnamon sticks, orange zest and juice, cloves, star anise and ginger. Bring the mixture to just below a boil - like a rapid simmer, then reduce heat to low and let it go for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, pour into a pitcher, and refrigerate.
- When the wine has fully cooled, add the pomegranate juice to the pitcher and stir.
- Serve over ice, topped with pomegranate arils and clove studded orange slices.
Photo: Katie Roletto