Recipe courtesy of Gluten Free Baking by Rachelle
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer place room temperature egg whites in a clean bowl, using the wire whisk attachment beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a small microwaveable bowl put water and chocolate and microwave until melted, set aside.
- In a clean stand mixer bowl place butter and sugar in the bowl and cream together.
- Add egg yolks one at a time.
- Cream mixture until light, fluffy, and pale in color.
- Add vanilla, and the chocolate mixture.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Now add sea salt, baking soda, buttermilk and gf flour (rotating flour and buttermilk.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and remove the bowl from the stand, very gently fold egg whites into mixture.
- Line three round 9 inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- Fill each pan evenly and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes and remove cakes from pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- In a small saucepan place sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, butter, and vanilla, whisk to combine all ingredients. On medium high heat whisk mixture until thickened and golden brown stirring constantly.
- When mixture is thickened and golden brown remove from the heat and add coconut and chopped pecans.
- Cool mixture enough to be able to top the cake.