This Tasty Red Rice recipe is one of my go-to side dishes. It’s perfect in burrito bowls or next to enchiladas – but equally at home next to steak or pork chops.
I’m lucky enough to live Central California, where produce is plentiful and so is Mexican food. There’s a funky little Mexican place around the corner from me that does things their own way, and when they started throwing mushrooms in their rice, I did too. You can leave them out if you like, but I love the earthiness the mushrooms add, not to mention the flavor from the beef broth and tomato sauce. I’ve also been know to add minced red bell peppers to the mix – experiment to make your own version of this tasty red rice recipe.
Gluten-Free Tasty Red Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 oz. mushrooms, chopped (about 6 to 8)
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free beef broth (if broth is unsalted, add 1 teaspoon salt)
- 8 oz. canned tomato sauce, about ¼ cup
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring until just softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and tomato sauce, bring to a boil. Add rice and parsley.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is done, about 25 to 30 minutes.
photo by James Collier