If you're a fan of Monster Cookies or Cowboy Cookies, you need to try these salty/sweet gluten free Compost Cookies!
I have some very, very exciting news to share! Thanks to California’s Cottage Food Act (AB 1616), I was able to open a bakery right out of my own home kitchen. Though I’ve only been open a week, I’ve already filled several orders for happy customers. I hope to meet a real need in our community–there are no exclusively gluten-free bakeries within 30 miles of the Santa Clarita Valley where I live.I have no idea what all will come of this, but I do know one thing for certain–I now am a small business owner doing something that I LOVE! My little bakery, called Ginger & Fox Bake Shop, will hopefully keep me busy, but not TOO busy so that I won’t have time to post.
Today I have a cookie recipe to share. It’s based on the famous Compost Cookies created by pastry chef, Christina Tosi, over at Momofuku Milk Bar. They are called Compost Cookies because they are full of all sorts of odd-sounding items, at least in a cookie. But the combination of sweet & salty works amazingly well. And the chunks of stuff–namely crushed potato chips and gluten-free pretzels–provide a pleasing crunch and interesting texture. Besides chips & pretzels, they have oats, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips (FYI the only butterscotch chips that I know for certain are gluten-free are made by Hersheys). Also, the list is quite flexible and encourages imagination. I wonder how it would taste with caramel corn & peanuts? Experiment with different ingredients and be sure to let me know what you think of these gluten free Compost Cookies!
- ½ cup butter softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure GF vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Hershey’s Brand Butterscotch Chips or other gluten-free brand
- ¼ cup crushed potato chips
- ¼ cup crushed gluten-free pretzel sticks
- ¼ cup certified gluten-free oats
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy in the bowl of your stand mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment). Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, coffee, xanthan, baking soda, and sea salt and beat until combined. Add the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, potato chips, pretzel sticks and oats and stir until evenly mixed.
- Using a small scoop (I like 1 ouncor large spoon, scoop dough onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets, placing about 2 inches apart. Bake immediately, or for a fluffier texture, freeze for about 30 minutes until dough is firm.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove to a rack to cool completely.
Recipe and Article Courtesy of Alison Needham, A Girl Defloured