I don’t know about you but I LOVE Halloween. I’m a huge fan of any excuse to wear a costume and I appreciate the slightly macabre leanings of the holiday. Give me all the gory goodies and blood colored booze! However, if you’re hosting a family-friendly party this year, kids might not be as inclined to eat hot dogs shaped like bloody fingers. These gluten-free Fruity Mummy or Spooky Ghost Cookies are the perfect spooky-cute, kid-friendly Halloween treat! Coconut flavored cookies are wrapped in fruit rolls or sprinkled with powdered sugar for a not-too scary dessert that your littles will love.
Fruity Mummy or Spooky Ghost Cookies are also a great way to get the kids into the kitchen. Kids are all about helping to create holiday goodies, especially if they get to eat their creations! Ask your littlest ghouls to help sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar, or to wrap the mummies in fruit rolls. Older kids will be able to help to add ingredients, mix the dough and roll out the cookies. Now…if someone could just figure out a way to get them excited about helping with the clean up. That’s the dream.
Looking for more boo-tiful treats? Try these Ghost Cupcakes, Gingerbread Skeletons, or Monster Brownies they’re gluten free and vegan, so everyone can enjoy! Allergen free and easy? That’s definitely a sweet trick (and a sweet treat).
Adaptation of recipe from Land O Lakes.
Fruity Mummy or Ghost Cookies
- 3/4 cup LAND O LAKES® butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 LAND O LAKES® egg
- 2 teaspoons g-free vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum if not already included in the blend
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 (4.8-ounce boxes) 12 rolls yogurt-striped fruit-flavored rolls
- black decorator gel
- mini chocolate chips or small decorator candies
- Heat oven to 350°Combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour, Xanthan Gum and coconut. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Divide dough into 36 (1-incballs. Shape each ball into 2 1/4-inch long log. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- Cut each fruit roll into 3 pieces. Starting at top of each cookie, wrap 1 fruit roll piece around each cookie, stretching slightly to cover. Leave small opening near top for eyes. Place onto waxed paper. Use black decorator gel to adhere mini chocolate chips for eyes on each cookie.
- Store in loosely covered container between sheets of waxed paper up to 2 days.
Ghost Cookies: Omit fruit rolls. Roll each cookie in sifted powdered sugar while warm. Cool; roll each in powdered sugar again. Add eyes as directed. Store in container with tight-fitting lid.