This Crunchy Colorful Coleslaw recipe is my go-to side for barbecues, especially when there’s a chance to pile it on a sandwich.
I like my coleslaw creamy with a little bit of sweetness and all the color and crunch I can muster. This coleslaw has enough flavor to be a meal on its own or topped simply with grilled shrimp, and it still fits in just right on a pulled pork sandwich or as a BBQ side dish. I like to throw in chopped green onion or sliced cucumber to change it up, and a teaspoon or two of whole grain mustard can give an added kick.
This coleslaw recipe is best the day it’s made, so I alternate between this and my Simple Cucumber Salad for an easy goes-with-anything side. Since the cucumbers are better after a day in the fridge, that’s my make-ahead option.
Crunchy Colorful Coleslaw Recipe
A summertime barbecue classic, this coleslaw recipe has all the crunch and flavor you crave, with a kick of extra color from the purple cabbage.
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded (green, purple or a combination)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3-4 mini sweet peppers, cut into matchsticks
- 3-4 radishes, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrots, peppers and radishes. Pour mayonnaise dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir to combine. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours and serve. (Coleslaw is best the day it’s made.)
This recipe is naturally Dairy Free, use Paleo mayonnaise for Paleo-Friendly
photo by Katie Roletto from our days at Love With Food