Try this Southern-inspired gluten-free Pimento Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon recipe – we know you’ll love it. It’s perfect as a side dish, for a potluck, or paired with a crisp green salad for a delicious and filling dinner. This is a recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
How this Pimento Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon recipe came to be:
I love Southern food, and I spent a ton of time mastering baked macaroni and cheese, pimento cheese, hot chicken and pig candy. Then I decided it was time for a mashup, and I made Pimento Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon. It’s possible this is the best idea I ever had, and I’m sharing it with you. Feel free to share it with your friends – but only the ones you want to keep. If you serve them this decadent mac & cheese, they’ll be no getting rid of them!
What pasta should I use in this gluten-free mac and cheese with bacon?
There are tons of gluten-free pastas on the market. My current favorite is the fresh GF pasta from Manini’s (find it in the cold case at premium grocers) or the dried elbow pasta from Schar, Barilla or Jovial.
I can't wait to hear what you think! I would love to see your pics of this cheesy masterpiece. Please share and be sure to tag me @gfreefoodie. Try my traditional Pimento Cheese recipe too.
Pimento Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
- 12 ounces Gluten Free Macaroni cooked al dente
- 6 slices thick cut gluten free bacon chopped
- 4-5 green onions chopped, white portions separated from green
- 3 tablespoons Gluten Free Flour blend
- salt & black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups sharp yellow cheddar grated, divided
- 6 ounces pimentos drained & chopped
- Cook the bacon pieces in a large saucepan until crispy, remove from heat. Take the bacon pieces out of the remaining grease, and drain. Pour out some of the remaining grease, leaving 3-4 tablespoons worth of grease remaining in the pan.
- Add the white portions of the onions, salt and pepper, to the grease and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stir in paprika. Add the flour and cook a minute or two more. Whisk in milk and hot sauce, and bring up to a bubble, then allow to thicken a minute or two. Turn off the heat, and stir in the green onions, and two cups of the shredded cheese until melted.
- Add the pasta to the pan with the cheese sauce. Toss to combine. Fold in the drained pimentos and bacon pieces.
- Pour into a prepared 8×8 baking dish and top with the remaining cheese, brown under the broiler.
Photos: Meg van der Kruik
This'll be the best damn macaroni & cheese with bacon you ever ate in your life. Swear.
Love this Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon? Try these too:
Do you think it's possible to make bacon even more alluring? Well, it is. Try this delicious brown sugar bacon as soon with your next breakfast. For sobbing out loud, all you need to do is add a little brown sugar, and an (optional) pinch of chili powder. It's so easy!