Great for your own pantry or for a gift, these flavored salts are sure to please.
Note For Gift Tags: “Sprinkle these flavored salts over poultry, meat or fish before roasting or grilling. Toss with homemade croutons, mix into burgers, stir into stews or use to season cooked vegetables and pizzas. Rosemary-lavender salt works best with beef, chicken or pork as well as with artichokes. Peppercorn salt pairs nicely with beef and lamb. Citrus-fennel salt matches well with chicken, fish, lamb or turkey as well as asparagus. The seasoned salts can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 year.”
- 1 3/4 cups kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- Combine the kosher salt and sea salt. In a mortar or a food processor, combine the salt mixture with the flavorings (see below). Grind the ingredients with a pestle or pulse until very coarsely crushed. Transfer to an airtight container. Let the flavored salt stand overnight before using.
- LAVENDER-ROSEMARY SALT Add 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons dried rosemary and 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon dried lavender flowers to the mixture of kosher salt and sea salt.
- PEPPERCORN SALT Add 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns to the mixture of kosher salt and sea salt.
- CITRUS-FENNEL SALT Preheat the oven to 250°. Spread 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest from 10 lemons on a medium rimmed baking sheet. Bake the lemon zest for 15 minutes, or until completely dry, stirring halfway through baking. Let cool slightly. Add the dried lemon zest along with 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fennel seeds to the mixture of kosher salt and sea salt.