- 4 ounces Gluten Free German Chocolate or Dark Chocolate
- ½ cup boiling water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup butter or butter substitute
- 1 ½ teaspoon Gluten Free vanilla
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1 cup coconut or white rice flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or use Dairy Free substitute)
Coconut Pecan Frosting:
- 3 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (or Dairy Free substitute)
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) butter or butter substitute, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons Gluten Free vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ⅔ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 ½ cups pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Additional chocolate pieces or dark chocolate icing for decorating, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Add ½ cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Set aside.
- Using large mixing bowl, cream butter with remaining sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well. Blend in chocolate.
- Sift rice flour with cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in beaten whites.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill cups ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, check for doneness with a cake tester or toothpick
- Allow cupcakes to cool fully and frost.
For the Frosting:
- Combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans. Let cool completely. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container, bring to room temperature before using.
Let Us Know What You Think