- 3 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (or Dairy Free substitute)
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ sticks (12 tablespoons) butter or butter substitute, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons Gluten Free vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ⅔ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 ½ cups pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted if desired
- Combine egg yolks, evaporated milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan. Add butter, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl.
- Stir in vanilla, salt, coconut, and pecans. Let cool completely. Frosting can be refrigerated in an airtight container, bring to room temperature before using.