Try this recipe for Gluten Free Donuts courtesy of Dr. Stephen Wangen on G-Free Foodie.
- 1¼ cups white rice flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅞ cup potato starch
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon chickpea flour or soy flour
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 7 ½ teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 1 ¼ cups warm milk of choice or water
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups vegetable oil (or more)
- Extra sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon, optional
1. Place rice flour, granulated sugar, potato starch, tapioca starch, chickpea flour, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and dry yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat briefly to combine.
2. Add milk, melted butter and eggs to dry ingredients. Beat for 5 minutes at medium speed.
3. Let dough rest for 20 minutes in a warm, draft-free area.
4. Cut 5x5-inch squares of parchment paper. Spoon dough into a pastry bag fitted with the widest tip or use a plastic bag with the bottom corner cut to create a ¼ to ½-inch opening. Pipe a donut-shaped circle* onto each parchment square. Set squares on baking sheets and let proof for 20 minutes in a warm, humid environment.
5. In a deep skillet or electric fryer, heat oil over medium heat until oil reaches 350 degrees. Gently slide 3 or 4 donut sheets into the oil and fry 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the paper and gently turn donuts. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a tray lined with several sheets of paper towels.
6. While still warm, sprinkle donuts with sugar, powdered sugar or cinnamon, if desired.
*To help form the donuts, shape them with plastic wrap that’s sprayed with vegetable oil.