This Pizza Margherita with a Grain-Free Cheese Pizza Crust is delicious, cheesy goodness that comes together in a snap. You can add your favorite toppings, of course. I tend to roll new-school with the crust, but old-school with the toppings.
It may seem like I have an obsession with grain-free pizza crust, since I recently shared this dairy-free Cauliflower Pizza Crust and there are several grain-free pizzas on my Instagram, but I promise you, there’s a reason. Not only do I feel better when I avoid grain, here’s the secret: grain-free pizza crust is EASIER.
You might read this recipe and think I’m crazy, but once you try this cheese-based pizza crust, you’ll be a true believer. While your traditional dough-making neighbors are kneading, proofing and hoping everything goes their way, you’ll be enjoying cheesy pizza margherita deliciousness in just a few minutes.
Some folks call this grain-free cheese pizza crust style “Fathead” – and that’s cool, they can call it whatever they want. We call it cheese crust over here, and everyone loves it, which is a big bonus.
Pizza Margherita With Grain-Free Pizza Crust
Ah, the classic pizza margherita. A never-fail combination of flavors, and this one is made with a completely grain-free pizza crust. Eat your heart out!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 TBSP cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup nut flour (cashew, almond or hazelnut)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Tear an additional sheet of parchment paper, and set aside.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium sized microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir to combine, and then microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Working quickly, add the egg, nut flour, and seasoning to the cheese mixture, and stir to thoroughly combine. The dough will should begin to form a sticky ball. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and cover with the additional parchment. Roll or pat dough to about ¼ inch even thickness. Gently remove the top parchment, and use a fork to poke holes through the crust. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until crust has become golden brown, remove from oven.
- Use a fork to pop any large bubbles in the dough, then coat with a thin layer of the pizza sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then top with a layer of mozzarella. Return to the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Tear the basil and scatter it over the pizza. Enjoy.