Ready for our favorite savory gluten-free cracker recipe? This tasty Goat Butter Shortbread is what your cheeseboard has been missing. Trust us.
Plus, we've added in a few other gluten-free cracker recipes you'll want to keep on hand. Forever.
Article Courtesy: Alison Needham
Savory Gluten-Free Shortbread Crackers? Yes, that's a thing.
The choice between sweet or salty, for me, is an easy one. I choose salt every time. Call me crazy, but I’d rather have more dinner for dessert, than dessert. So when I first tasted savory shortbread, made from a Barefoot Contessa recipe before I had gone gluten-free, I was instantly deeply, madly, passionately in love. They have the texture of a buttery, shortbread cookie, with the taste of a cracker. They are the perfect nibble with a cocktail, but I think they are even better as part of a cheese plate served for dessert.
This gluten-free cracker recipe was born from a deep love of savory shortbread.
I’d been mourning their loss since my celiac diagnoses, and throughout the past couple of years I half-heartedly tried to recreate them, each time making cookies worthy of the New York Times Magazine’s “Meh List.” But today, as I was flipping through Karen Morgan’s cookbook (Blackbird Bakery), I decided to make her savory Tapenade Tomato Tart for book club. And guess what? The leftover tart dough, a pate brisee made with a touch of goat butter, made the most amazing, savory shortbread cookies I had ever tasted. Like ever. Incidentally, I don’t think the tart will be half bad either.
How to switch up the cracker flavors:
I chose to make them with rosemary, Parmesan cheese and sea salt, however they would be smashing with blue cheese & walnuts as well. If you like pine nuts (I absolutely do not), then try swapping them for the almonds in the recipe featured below.
Serve gluten-free Goat Butter Shortbread at your next wine tasting, and prepare for everyone to ask you where you got them.
Here's a few more gluten-free cracker recipes to try:
Almond Cheddar Crackers:
We're crazy for these easy-to-make Almond Cheddar Crackers. These make a great addition to your charcuterie boards and other happy hour hors d'oeuvres. Whether for a holiday get together, to enjoy on your own, or part of a delicious gift, these naturally gluten-free crackers deliver. Spice them up with Boonville Piment d' Ville!
Gluten-Free Sourdough Discard Crackers:
This super easy, super delicious, gluten-free cracker recipe for herbed sourdough discard crackers is perfect for your cheese boards or for your favorite dips.
Your new favorite gluten-free cracker recipe awaits!
Gluten-Free Goat Butter Shortbread | Savory Gluten-Free Cracker Recipe
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons millet flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- pinch fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary minced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons cold goat butter diced
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter diced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- sea salt to taste
- Whiz the dry ingredients, plus the rosemary and cheese together in a food processor fitted with a steel-blade attachment. Add the goat butter, and regular butter and pulse until the mixture becomes sandy. Carefully drizzle the egg into the mixture while pulsing just until the dough turns on itself. Remove dough from processor, shape into a log, wrap with plastic and freeze for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cut the log into ¼ inch slices and set on the prepared sheet, about ½ inch apart. Press a couple of slivered almonds into each cookie and lightly sprinkle the tops with sea salt. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Try these gluten-free recipes for your next wine tasting too:
Easy Pimento Cheese Appetizer + Recipe:
Enjoy this creamy spread with your favorite gluten free crackers, or spread it on top of toasted gluten free bread and top with additional pimentos and chives. Either way, you're going to want to try this simple Pimento Cheese Appetizer for your next party!
Edible Flower Pistachio Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies:
These beautiful gluten-free Edible Flower Pistachio Shortbread Cookies are sure to wow your guests when they see them, and again when they taste them!
What a great recipe! I'm a 'salty' person too. Where do I find ingredients like Xanthum gum / sorghum & tapioca flour?
Thanks for your help
G-Free Foodie says
Most large grocery stores, and natural/health food stores.