Stove top macaroni and cheese, so rich and delicious that adults will love it, too? Yeah, this one's a keeper...
My kids agree on practically nothing when it comes to dinner–this recipe for macaroni and cheese included. My middle son, under no circumstances, will eat pasta. My oldest son practically eats nothing but pasta (with meat sauce). And their sister prefers her pasta to come slathered with a creamy alfredo sauce or cheese. However (embarrassingly) she always liked the boxed mac & cheese more than any homemade version I served her.
So I gave up on homemade macaroni & cheese for a long time. Why bother to make a from-scratch sauce when my kids just turned up their nose? But then I discovered a method to make it on the stove top that everyone (except my one son who refuses pasta) loves–adults included.
Stove top macaroni and cheese is kind of revolutionary really. And all kinds of crazy awesome. I must warn you, though, this is NOT a health food…you’re not one of those people who thinks being gluten-free will help you lose weight, are you? Good.
The one caveat to this dish is that it must be served immediately or the sauce can become clumpy. But I think you’ll find that once you set this dish on the table, it will disappear in a few seconds flat.
There are tons of gluten-free pastas on the market. My current favorites are the dried elbow pasta from Pamela’s or Jovial. Use one of those pastas or your favorite to make Bacon Pimento Macaroni & Cheese too! You definitely want to use a dry pasta in this recipe.
Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 3 ½ cups half and half
- 8 oz (about 3 cups) dry gluten-free macaroni
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated (do not use the pre-bagged kind because the extra starches will cause the sauce to be too thick)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is soft and translucent. Stir in the oregano, salt and flour and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the half and half and pasta and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Serve immediately.