I’ve tried several versions of Cauliflower Pizza Crust, and I think this cheese-free version is best. It holds up well and has a light flavor that’s tasty but not overpowering. You can top it with your favorite pizza combination or use caramelized onions, fresh tomatoes and sweet peppers for a fabulous (cheese-free) flatbread. This crust will also work for cheesy breadstick-style applications, so load up on the garlic + mozzarella if you’re into that kind of thing. My favorite dairy-free cheese for pizza is the Miyoko’s Kitchen Vegan Mozzarella. I don’t love it raw, but it’s great baked.
The toughest part of cauliflower pizza crust is ricing the cauliflower and draining it (neither of which are too tough, by the way). You can make it even easier by scoring pre-riced cauliflower in the prepared produce section of your grocery store or at Trader Joe’s. I would buy the fresh kind though – the frozen ones can get kind of gross.
Send me some photos of your creations. I’d love to see them: @gfreefoodie on Instagram.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- 3 cups cauliflower riced (1 medium head run through the food processor)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus a bit more
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut cashew or almond meal
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal or tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of sauce
- desired toppings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with greased parchment or a Silpat.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Line a colander with cheesecloth or a dish towel and pour the hot cauliflower on top. Once the the cauliflower has cooled and started to drain, wrap it up in the towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. This is a critical step, don’t skip it.
- Add cauliflower and all other ingredients to a large bowl, and mix until thoroughly combined. Turn the dough onto the parchment or Silpat, and spread into desired shape, leaving the crust about 1/4 inch thick. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are beginning to look crispy and brown. Remove from oven and add sauce and desired toppings, bake for 5-8 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes, and enjoy!