These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Squares (or bars, depending on how you cut them) are one of our all-time favorite fall recipes. They are fluffy, full of pumpkin flavor, and easy to make. Top them with cream cheese frosting or your favorite dairy-free icing - you can make the squares dairy-free too.
- Updated November 2021 to add description and photos
Recipe & article by Taylor, Gluten Away
Every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas I always decide to come back to this one recipe. Every single person that's tried it has said they didn't know it was gluten-free which makes you know it's good! It's rich, fluffy, and has an amazing texture unlike any gluten-free baked good I've had before. I decided to repost this recipe once again because I felt like it's one of the best recipes I make each year. It is by far my favorite and many people have said it's their favorite too. If I could recommend any dessert recipe to make for Thanksgiving it would definitely be this. It's easy to make and can be both gluten and dairy free! It's a perfect gluten-free dessert recipe for Thanksgiving or really any time of year and is one that I guarantee you will enjoy.
Comments about this Gluten-Free Pumpkin Squares recipe:
"These gluten-free pumpkin squares are my family's favorite! They can't tell they're GF and I LOVE them!"
"I made this a few weeks ago and it only lasted three days! This is SO good!"
"By far the best gluten free dessert I've made so far! Amazing!"
"THESE ARE AMAZING! I converted the recipe so it is now gluten, egg and dairy free! But not delicious free 🙂 replacing two eggs with ¼ cup pumpkin puree makes them even more moist and pumpkin-y."
What you'll need:
What you'll need:
- 10- by 15-inch baking pan (or, for fluffier squares, a 9- by 13-inch pan)
- standing mixer or hand mixer
- a batch of cream cheese frosting or fluffy dairy-free icing
- pumpkin puree
- applesauce or oil
- baking powder
- baking soda
- salt (I use fine sea salt)
- nutmeg or ground ginger (or both)
- mix-ins if you want them, like chocolate chips, raisins or nuts
You Wouldn't Know It's Gluten-Free Squares
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Take out an ungreased 10- by 15-inch baking pan (or, for a fluffier version, a 9- by 13-inch pan) and set aside. Beat together the eggs, pumpkin, sugar and oil until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, the ginger / nutmeg, and chocolate chips or raisins if you desire. Mix until smooth, then spread the batter in your pan. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Apply icing, enjoy!
FAQs about Gluten-Free Pumpkin Squares
Usually pumpkin squares are more cakelike, and pumpkin bars are thinner and denser. But more bars or square recipes can be cut either way.
Absolutely! This recipe works beautifully as a gluten-free pumpkin sheet cake too.
If you don't want to use canned puree, you can roast a sugar-pie pumpkin and puree the cooked flesh. Check out this recipe with directions to make your own pumpkin puree here.