Pumpkin Spice Cocktail – the perfect warm holiday cocktail recipe! Serve it with Candied Bacon Bites for an afternoon get together or party full of fall flavor.
I’m a HUGE fan of warm cocktails, and we know pumpkin spice is delicious, don’t we? If it wasn’t, it wouldn’t make national news when Starbucks starts slinging pumpkin lattes.
I love serving mulled wine, cider or warm cocktails full of spice during fall and winter. The house smells delicious and a toasty libation just makes everything seem a little more festive, even without a party. Plus, I never met a hot buttered rum I didn’t like.
Pumpkin Spice Cocktails are made in two parts – first you make the non-alcoholic pumpkin spice, then you make the cocktails by adding a shot (or two, no judgment here) of booze to a mug and stirring in the pumpkin blend. This allows everyone to adjust the ratio of the cocktails to their taste, and you can keep the pumpkin mix warm over low heat for refills without cooking the alcohol.
I use spiced rum or dark rum in this recipe, but we’ve tried it with whiskey too and it’s also delish! (If you’re wondering about gluten in alcohol, you can check out this post.)
Try a Pumpkin Spice Cocktail soon, and let me know what you think! You'll probably love my friend Meg's Pumpkin Spice Mulled Wine recipe too.
Pumpkin Spice Cocktail Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 5 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups water, divided
- spiced rum or dark rum
- Melt the butter or coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, spices and salt, and stir to combine.
- Then add 1 cup water, stir, and cook on a slight simmer for 8-10 minutes. Then add 2 additional cups of water, stir thoroughly, and taste for seasoning.
- Add 2 oz spiced rum to a 10 oz. mug, and ladle in pumpkin mixture to fill. Stir the cocktail and serve with a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
photos by Katie Roletto
Let Us Know What You Think