Posole is a Mexican stew, originally made with pork. You can make Posole a million different ways but the one constant ingredient is hominy, which is just dried corn that has been soaked until the hull can be removed. Hominy gives this chicken posole stew a rich corn tortilla flavor and makes it satisfying. Hominy is either white or yellow and can usually be found in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store.
Keeping Breast Meat Moist
Because it’s so lean, breast meat cooked in the slow cooker can get a little dry. A favorite trick of mine whenever I cook any meat is to salt it with about ½ teaspoon of kosher salt several hours before cooking – or even overnight. This helps the meat stay really nice and moist. Don’t worry about the meat being too salty. That won’t happen.
Slow Cooker Chicken Posole Stew | Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
You can make Posole a million different ways, but we're partial to this chicken Posole stew one from Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. The key is hominy, which is just dried corn that has been soaked until the hull can be removed.
For the stew:
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 15 ounce cans white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups good quality Gluten Free chicken stock
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 3 scallions, both green and white parts, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons light ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro
- Queso Fresco or other good quality Mexican cheese (Monterey jack would work)
- Shredded radishes (Use the large holes on your box grater)
- Sour cream
- Gluten-Free Tortilla chips
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put remaining ingredients in and stir the top to mix in spices. Cover and cook on low for 5 – 6 hours, or until chicken and carrots are cooked through and tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return chicken to crock, stir to combine. Serve with toppings if desired.
Recipe Credit: Simply Sugar and Gluten Free via Udi’s