This gluten-free Apple Spiced Oats recipe from Gina Rau is like a warm hug in a bowl. Steel cut oats are sprinkled with a dusting of cinnamon and nutmeg. Apples and brown sugar add just the right touch of sweetness. Not a morning person? Then you'll love the fact that you can make these Apple Spiced Oats in a slow cooker. There's no need to deal with that "getting up early" nonsense! Simply toss all the ingredients in your slow cooker the night before and you'll awaken to the enticing aroma of this hearty breakfast. Who knows...maybe you'll turn out to be a morning person after all!
This recipe is totally kid-friendly but it's so tasty that you might not want to share. Leftovers, if there are any, can simply be reheated in the microwave with a little extra dairy-free milk (almond milk works well).
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Apple Spiced Oats
- slow cooker
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into ½ “ pieces
- 1 ½ cups coconut or rice milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon dairy-free butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Coat inside of 3.5 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. If your slow cooker is larger, use a 5 cup or larger glass baking dish or measuring cup placed inside your slow cooker, surrounded by room temperature water nearly to the top of your glass container.
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker or glass container. Mix well, cover slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls. Stir in additional dairy-free milk or add sliced apples as a topping, if desired. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for later that week or in the freezer for the future.
- To reheat single servings: Put 1 cup of cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add ⅓ cup dairy-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Cook for another minute, or until desired temperature.
Recipe Courtesy: Gina Rau
Let Us Know What You Think