These gluten-free apple spiced oats from Gina Lau are like a warm hug in a bowl. A touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, with just the right touch of sweetness and apples. And even better – you can make these apple spiced oats in a slow cooker, so no need to deal with that “getting up early” nonsense.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Apple Spiced Oats
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2 “ pieces
- 1 ½ cups coconut or rice milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free steel-cut oats
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp dairy-free butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Coat inside of 3.5 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. If your slow cooker is larger, use a 5 cup or larger glass baking dish or measuring cup placed inside your slow cooker, and surrounded by room temperature water nearly to the top of your glass container.
- Add all ingredients into slow cooker or glass container. Mix well, cover slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours. Spoon oatmeal into serving bowls. Stir in additional dairy-free milk or add sliced apples as a topping, if desired. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for later that week or in the freezer for the future.
- To reheat single servings: Put 1 cup of cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup dairy-free milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Cook for another minute, or until desired temperature.
Recipe Courtesy: Gina Rau