½ cup shortening
⅔ cup granulated sugar
1 cup nut butter (peanut butter, soynut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.)
1 egg or egg replacer equivalent*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1¼ cup plus 2 tablespoon gluten-free all purpose flour, divided**
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
about ¾ cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 square pan with foil and grease, leaving some overhang so the bars are easy to remove from the pan.
2. Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy, about 1 minute on medium speed using a stand mixer. Add nut butter, egg, and vanilla and continue to mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 ¼ cup of flour, baking powder, and xanthan gum.
4. Add the flour mixture to the creamed dough and continue mixing until combined.
5. Press about ⅔ of the dough into the pan, flattening it so that the surface is smooth. Spread jam on top of dough.
6. Beat remaining ⅓ of dough with 1 to 2 tablespoon flour to achieve a crumbly texture. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over the jam.
7. Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven and let cool before slicing.
*egg replacer options: 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoon water, ¼ cup applesauce, or ¼ cup yogurt
Recipe Entry from Eat Well Event Recipe Contest 2011
Submitted by: Samantha Lee
Let Us Know What You Think