- 1 ½ sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, ½ stick softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten(or equivalent egg replacer)
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon Gluten Free pumpkin pie spice blend
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free vanilla extract, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
- 1-⅔ cups Gluten Free flour blend
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda, xanthan gum and ¾ teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the Gluten Free flour blend.
- Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches salt and ½ teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.
A Recipe Conversion of an original by Paula Deen