This pizza, topped with a bright green salad, is a favorite for us in summer. We like to use our homegrown cherry tomatoes, but plenty of markets now carry heirloom cherry tomatoes in the produce section. Be sure to use good quality, thick-cut bacon for best results. If you can't find Taste #5 Umami Paste (you really should look for it because it's AWESOME), substitute olive oil and garlic.
- 1 recipe gluten-free pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons Taste #5 Umami Paste or olive oil + 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- lemon juice & olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, it should be on the bottom rack of your oven. Divide the prepared dough in half and using wet hands, press the dough into two 9-inch rounds on parchment paper. Trim the paper around the edge of the dough.
- Slide one of the pizzas into the oven directly onto the stone. Bake for 5 minutes, carefully lift the pizza with tongs and remove the parchment. Bake for 5 minutes more, or until the pizza crust is golden brown. Repeat with remaining crust.
- Top each pizza with 1 tablespoon of Taste #5 Umami Paste (or the olive oil & garlic alternative). Sprinkle each with cheese and half of the crumbled bacon. Return pizzas to the oven and bake for about 5 minutes more, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- While pizzas bake, lightly dress the mixed baby greens with lemon juice and olive oil. When the pizzas come out of the oven, top with the dressed baby greens, cherry tomatoes, and remaining bacon. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Alison Needham, A Girl Defloured