- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups chopped onions (sweet yellow onions are best)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onions and ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt. Cook and stir until the onions are caramelized to a nice golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove the onions from the heat and cool.
- Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, white pepper, and remaining kosher salt. Stir in the onions when they are cool. Cover and refrigerate the dip for at least 2 hours before serving.