March 4th is my day of self reflection, goal setting and personal review. Why March 4th, you ask? Here’s the post where I make sense of that.
Can we stop for a minute and assess why I'm not part of the March Forth Marching Band? Aside from the fact that I don't play an instrument & I'm not from Portland, I feel like I'm clearly cut out for that crew. I wonder if they have a honorary membership option. I think I'll check it out - let me know if you want to join too, maybe we can get a maraca section going or something.
I had to look at photos to remember everything that happened this year: Thank God for Instagram. We launched the G-Free Foodie Box Club in July, and pretty much everything after that is a blur. Last year, I said I knew my challenge is to remember & live the lessons I’ve learned, while continuing to improve. I let a few of the lessons lapse (there was that 4-month period of working like crazy and not working out) but I haven't forgotten a single one, and I've continued to grow.
Deepak Chopra says: "All great changes are preceded by chaos." I'm certain he's correct, as evidenced in my life repeatedly. (That also explains all of 2011.)
Here's what I know for sure:
- At this point in my life, I am not going to workout anywhere that's more 10 minutes from my house unless it has a really clean bathroom or I'm in the ocean & I don't have to do anything but be salty afterwards. So I'm going to workout more, but only if there's a shower or a tide.
- "Be Particular" is the most all-encompassing advice I have ever been given. And you can just nevermind that I received that advice from a 50-something Sweet Potato Queen while I was trying on her 2-foot crown & sparkly hot pink gloves.* If I could just remember to Be Particular about everything I said, ate, bought & dated, I'll be doing better than alright.
- The second-best advice I've ever received is: "Remember what we've learned from James Coburn." If you ever run into The Dave** at a bar, ask him to explain that one to you. I'm not sure I can do it justice.
- I'm so much better when I take the time to meditate, pray, read and get pedicures. Since I tend to burn the candle at both ends & in the middle, if you run into me and my toenails look a mess, you should probably put me in the car and drive me to one of those walk-in massage places, just for everyone's safety.
- I don't like sea urchin. And I don't care if that makes me uncool at the SuperFoodie Justice League meetings. I also can't help you make "the ultimate gluten free pancake" because I don' t like pancakes, and I don't want to try.
- When I come up against something I really don't want to do, I should just say no. Always. (Like mastering pancakes.)
- People who are hugely negative can make me physically ill, and can poison everything around them. I've decided not to eat the poison apples, even if the Wicked Queen is my favorite Disney villain.
- Flowers make everything better. Especially blue ones. (Except Stargazer lilies. I just can't, y'all. I can't.)
- Music is the best medicine and the best therapy I've ever known. Especially with the sunroof open and my kiddo or one of my besties singing in the passenger seat.
I'm gonna get back to the business of going where life takes me, and I hope it takes me to meet more of you. Each year has been better than the last, and I'll be praying it stays that way - for you and for me.
All the Love -
*there is a picture of this event. If I can find it, I'll share that somebitch with y'all, because it's epic-funny.
** if you're new to the blog, The Dave is my dad. He's married to my mom, Saint Joanie. They rock.
Let Us Know What You Think