Want to whip up an easy + healthy dessert? Make Vanilla, Strawberry or Double Chocolate Nice Ice Cream (Banana Ice Cream) using bananas as the base.
There are tons of recipes for Nice Cream (Nana Cream, Banana Ice Cream …) in the universe, but these are my go-to recipes. You can definitely add to these base flavors on your own, or make easy substitutions: swapping frozen raspberries or blueberries for the strawberries, using a chai protein powder or raw cacao instead of cocoa powder, etc. I’m sharing the basics, along with my tips for nice cream success and some recommendations for nabbing vanilla bean paste and allergen-free chocolate chips.
- Use ripe bananas: they should be turning at least slightly brown before you slice and freeze them
- Peel the bananas before slicing: I thought this was obvious, but one of my readers emailed me to assure me it wasn’t!
- Cut thin slices: the thinner the slices, the easier it is for your blender or food processor to get to the creamy stage
- Freeze slices in a single layer: pop the sliced bananas in a large freezer bag, and spread them out while they are freezing so they don’t clump together. Alternatively, freeze the slices on a lined sheet pan, and then put them in a zip bag once they’re frozen.
- Add fat for an even creamier texture: a tablespoon or two of full fat coconut milk or nut butter make this banana ice cream smoother
Vanilla, Strawberry and Double Chocolate Nice Cream (Banana Ice Cream)
- Vanilla: 3 frozen sliced bananas + 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Strawberry: 2 frozen sliced bananas + 1 cup frozen strawberries
- Double Chocolate: 3 frozen sliced bananas + 3 tablespoon cocoa powder + 1 tablespoon coconut milk then add ⅓ cup chocolate chips at the creamy stage
- a pinch of fine sea salt is optional in each recipe but encouraged
- Put the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or pitcher of a high-powered blender and process on high, occasionally stopping to scrape down the sides.
- The mixture will look crumbly, then gooey, then (finally!) creamy, like soft serve. Serve right away or freeze in a sealed container for up to 1 week. If you’d like the nice cream a little firmer, a 30-45 minute chill in the freezer should do the trick.