I have a soft spot for sprinkles. It’s their bright colors and fun shapes that add a little fun to any sweet treat. My kids are always requesting sprinkles on their ice cream. They say it makes the ice cream taste better. How could I disagree with that? The same holds true for these Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars!
Let’s be real here. When it comes to sugar cookies, the frosting is really only there as glue for the sprinkles. Yes, that layer of vanilla frosting tastes amazing on those soft sugar cookies. It’s also totally necessary. No one wants to eat a plain, unfrosted sugar cookie. It’s a blank (yummy) canvas, just waiting to be covered with a cheerful layer of sugary goodness!
Just when I thought my gluten free vegan Sugar Cookies couldn’t get any better, I made them into bars! They’re so much easier to make. Just spread the dough into the pan, bake, frost and slice. A soft sugar cookie is hard for just about anyone to resist, especially when cut into grab-n-go bars. These Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars would be great to serve at your next party or potluck!
Recipe courtesy of Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
FROSTED SUGAR COOKIE BARS
Sugar Cookie Dough
- 2 1/4 cups Sarah’s gluten free flour blend or your favorite all-purpose gf flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil soft
- 1/2 cup So Delicious Dairy Free unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan butter softened
- 2-3 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free french vanilla coconut milk coffee creamer
- food coloring optional
- gluten free sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat together powdered sugar, sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk and vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined.
- Using rubber spatula, spread dough in even layer in prepared baking pan.
- Bake cookies for 22-24 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and place pan on cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make vanilla frosting, mix together powdered sugar, softened vegan butter, coffee creamer, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add a few drops of food coloring (if desired). Spread frosting over top of cooled cookies. Sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
- Allow frosting to set. Cut cookies into bars and serve.