Celiac Disease and the gluten-free diet have become trendy topics lately and there are a growing number of celebrities who have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It seems only logical to compile a list of these celebrities and add to it as more are vocal about their diagnosis. Celebrities who are gluten intolerant (Drew Brees, Terence Stamp, Juliette Lewis) or who follow the gluten-free diet for other reasons (Jenny McCarthy) or as a way to loose weight (Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow) are not included in the list.
More than a decade ago it was hard to imaging that Celiac/gluten-free diet would become a mainstream topic and definitely not one that would make an entertainment show like Access Hollywood (Chelsea Clinton’s gluten-free wedding cake). Apparently Bill Clinton has mentioned that he is on a gluten-free diet on Rachel Ray and during Hillary’s run for President.
It seems to me that there are more celebrities out there with Celiac Disease, so we hope they will come forward and let it be known. The publicity the disease receives translates into more people getting diagnosed who have been suffering unnecessarily. On average it takes 7-11 years to get a proper diagnosis of Celiac Disease, so we need all of the publicity we can get to raise public awareness, educate the medical community and ultimately decrease the average diagnosis time.
This list was compiled from multiple sources:
- Amy Yoder Begley (Competed in Beijing Olympics as a runner)
- Cedric Benson (NFL)
- Sarah Joy Brown (actress on The Bold and the Beautiful)
- Heidi Collins (former CNN anchor)
- Zooey Deschanel (actress)
- Keith Olbermann (Countdown with Keith Olbermann)
- Jennifer Esposito
- Susie Essman (Curb Your Enthusiasm)
- Rich Gannon’s (NFL Quarterback) daughter, Danielle
- Thom Hartmann (Air America Radio)
- Elisabeth Hasselback (“The View”)
- Katherine, Duchess of Kent
- Dannii Minogue – (singer & Actress, sister to singer Kylie Minogue)
- Mickey Redmon (former pro hockey player)
- Emmy Rossum (actress)
- Joe Stanton (Cartoonist who draws Batman, Green Lantern, Archie & Scooby-Doo)
- Jane Swift (former Massachusetts Lieutenant Governor)
- Sarah Vowell
**Who is missing from this list? Leave a comment and the list will be updated periodically.
Article Courtesy: Jennifer Harris