When I was diagnosed with Celiac I had no idea how to use all the different types of flours for cooking and baking. When I used to use regular flour I mean that was so simple as it was cup for cup and it did it’s job creating beautiful product. Really, who has heard of xanthan gum, guar gum, tapioca flour?? I surely had not. I was frustrated for quite a long time as when I was learning about all of these new strange things and what exactly there job was, as time went on I have learned and adapted to this new way of baking.
I love that I can bake just like I used to. I have a great tip to share, when preparing your gluten free pie crust and you don’t them at that very time roll them out and place in a pie plate cover and freeze for when you would like to use them, I find this method really handy as sometimes I don’t have the time to prepare a crust while in a hurry. I use this pie crust for all sorts of different pies and my Chicken Pot Pie, this gluten free pie crust is very universal.
The Perfect Gluten Free Pie Crust
- 1 Cup White Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cups Tapioca Flour
- 3/4 Cups Potato Starch
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Xanthum Gum
- 3/4 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar Plus 1 Teaspoon
- 1/2 Cup shortening, Earth Balance
- 1/4 Cup Butter, Earth Balance
- 1 Whole Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- Using a pastry cutter or stand mixer add white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthum gum, sea salt, sugar, shortening, and butter.
- Combine until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- In a small bowl combine egg and vinegar, whisk together.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
- Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- **NOTE** Depending on the day you may need more or less water.
- Separate mixture into two even balls forming disks.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This recipe makes two full size crusts, a top and a bottom for a 9 inch pie. Depending how many mini pies you are making you may only need one crust or both for more mini pies.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out crusts and form into plate, decorate edges any way you see fit.
- Bake pie crusts for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wired rack.