This is Jennifer Nettles's (lead singer of the band Sugarland) great-grandmother Mildred's coconut pie, called "impossible" because it seems to miraculously form its own crust while baking. The toasty coconut around the edges is delicious.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup Gluten Free self-rising flour*
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups milk
To make Gluten Free Self-Rising Flour:
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter two 9-inch glass pie plates.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Stir in the flour, coconut and milk. Divide the mixture between the pie plates and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 1 hour - 1 hour & 15 minutes, until the pies are firm to the touch and golden. Transfer the pies to a rack and cool completely before serving.