My family will always choose ice cream as their dessert of choice, no matter what time of year. Summer. Winter. It’s always a good time for ice cream. How do you like your ice cream? Plain and simple by the scoop. A chocolate covered ice cream sundae with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Sandwiched between two soft cookies. Or by the pint with a spoon. That’s how I roll.
Have you checked out the So Delicious “Save Summer” campaign on instagram? It’s a super cool photo contest that they started earlier this summer and it’s still going strong! Each week, So Delicious is putting out a different theme for the photos. Be sure to follow them on instagram to have a chance to win some cool prizes. Just don’t forget to tag your photos with #savemysummer!
The theme this week is “elevate.” I’ve taken the traditional ice cream sandwich (which is already pretty fantastic) and elevated it to something even more extraordinary. Creamy, dairy free chocolate almond milk ice cream sandwiched between two soft, chewy gluten free peanut butter cookies. I’m sorry. I’m sorry for making a frozen treat that is completely irresistible. I just love making ice cream sandwiches. They can be made ahead and stored in your freezer. These individually wrapped desserts are ready when you need something cool and sweet. Peanut butter and chocolate to the rescue!
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
These individually wrapped ice cream sandwiches are ready when you need something cool, sweet AND gluten-free. Peanut butter and chocolate to the rescue!
- 2 1/4 cups Sarah’s gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 pints So Delicious chocolate almond milk or coconut milk ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In medium bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large bowl, cream together brown sugar, peanut butter and coconut oil. Add coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix until blended. Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Roll tablespoon size scoops of cookie dough into balls. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten dough by pressing with tongs of fork, creating crisscross patten. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes. Place cookies on cooling rack to cool completely.
- To assemble ice cream sandwiches, allow ice cream to soften until soft enough to easily scoop. Place ice cream scoop onto upside-down cookie. Place another cookie on top and gently press. Wrap with plastic wrap. Immediately place in freezer and repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream. Freeze until firm for easy eating.
Article courtesy Sarah Horncek, Sarah Bakes Gluten Free Treats