This Dairy Free Basil Cream Sauce is packed with fresh basil flavor and a little taste of garlic – it’s so delicious, you’ll never miss the dairy. The recipe was perfected by my beautiful friend Chef Hillori Hansen – you may remember her from our video about Spatchcocking – and we’ve served it on fresh gluten-free pasta, over grilled fish, and we love it with a zoodles recipe.
We’ve given you the super-easy recipe for Dairy Free Basil Cream Sauce below, as well as directions for making the zoodles recipe (zucchini noodles) and assembling a colorful, flavorful dish. Yum.
PS – don’t skip soaking the cashews, that’s an important step!
Dairy Free Basil Cream Sauce And Zoodles Recipe
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked until soft*
- 1/2 cup water
- One lemon, juiced and zested
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 2 teaspoons miso
- 2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- *Typically you need to soak nuts a minimum of 3-6 hours to get them soft. Soak in water rinse and drain.
For the zucchini noodles and assembly
- 4 medium zucchini
- Salt for sprinkling noodles
- 1 cup cherry or pear tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup basil cream sauce
- 2 – 3 large basil leaves, chopped
- Blend cashews, water, lemon juice and zest, nutritional yeast, miso & garlic until smooth.
- Add chopped garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Blend on lowest speed to incorporate.
- Spiralize the noodles or use a peeler to shave around the zucchini into thin strip pieces (roughly 4 cups).
- Sprinkle salt over noodles and let rest for about 15 minutes (this should pull out water from the noodles).
- Rinse and pat the noodles dry with paper towels.
- Stir in the sauce, tomatoes and toasted pine nuts.
- Garnish with chopped basil.