I LOVE toffee, y’all. It just doesn’t always love me back. So when the folks at Enjoy Life asked me to create a holiday treat using their top-8 allergen free chocolate chips, I knew just what to do. Gluten/dairy/nut/soy/corn – TOFFEE CHALLENGE ACCEPTED, PEOPLE.
(PS: this post is sponsored by Enjoy Life. You figured that out, right?)
Thankfully, I didn’t need to eliminate shellfish. Kidding! (Although I just sat here thinking about crab cake toffee for 5 minutes, and decided it would be gross. Moving on.)
I decided to make a Cookie Toffee Bark recipe based on old-school Cracker Toffee, which I’ve made with gluten-free crackers before, but had never eliminated all the other allergens, including dairy.
I hit the grocery store armed with Enjoy Life coupons (get yours here, and get a bonus one for joining their newsletter) because even thought they were sending me some chocolate chips, I wanted cookies too. Also, I figured this recipe would take a few rounds of testing. I was right. Spoiler alert: I figured out vegan toffee takes 2 rounds of cooking to set: stove top and oven. I burned up so much sugar Brian was all: “K.C., why does it smell like Willy Wonka’s funeral in here?” and I was all: “Shut up, Brian!” It’ll be super-easy for you though, because I wrote down the recipe, so you can just follow it and your family won’t question you about trying to kidnap Oompa Loompas for your marshmallow-kingdom plot again (I admit nothing.)
You can make this Cookie Toffee Bark without the flaky salt, but I wouldn’t – the salt really adds an extra layer of texture and flavor.
Make a batch (or four) and prepare for everyone to beg for your recipe.
xo – KC
Cookie Toffee Bark
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Line a 9x9-inch pan with foil. Place the cookies in a single layer in the bottom of the pan, breaking up the last cookie to fill in gaps.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and butter substitute and bring to a boil. Once mixture is at a boil, continue boiling for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Mixture should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over cookies and spread to cover completely.
- Bake at 400°F 5 to 6 minutes. The mixture will look slightly bubbly.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, and let sit a couple of minutes to melt. Carefully spread the melted chocolate over the cookies. Top with flaky sea salt.
- Cool completely, break into pieces and enjoy!
The folks from Enjoy Life Foods sponsored this post. All words and ideas are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I work with, which allows G-Free Foodie to grow.
photos by Alycia Moreno