Check out these fun ideas for a 40th Birthday Photo Shoot, including cake, cupcakes, glitter, wine and a whole bunch of fabulous. Planning tips and prop list included!
Was a 40th Birthday Photo Shoot necessary? Yes darlings, I assert that it was. The wine, the friends and the mix tape (playlist below) made for a fabulous day celebrating my next trip around the sun. I've shared my favorite pics from my "adult cake smash" shoot below, along with links to the incredible crew that helped me make it happen. I know y'all probably want some cake shoes and a tutu of your own.
We didn't do any actual cake smashing 'cause that's not my style and the cake was too gorgeous for that noise. We did, however, eat a whole bunch of gluten-free cupcakes, drink some fine Zinfandel, and laugh our asses off at dinner afterward. Which is pretty much my plan for the rest of the year.
PRO TIPS for planning your own Adult Birthday Photos:
Since my team plans content shoots for a living, this was pretty easy for us. (Plus, my friends are up for anything.) Here are some steps to make planning your 40th Birthday Photo Shoot (or 30th, or 21st, or 52nd, or whatever!) easier.
- Choose a color scheme up front: then you can make sure you clothing, desserts, and props all tie in. If you know what you want to wear, start the color scheme from there.
- Plan a budget: most photographers and bakeries have more flexibility on weekdays, so take that into consideration. Same for hair & makeup artists, if you aren't doing your own.
- Start at least 2 months in advance: that gives you time to shop, book your photographer, venue (or if you're using your backyard, pull weeds!) and order supplies.
- Make a shot list: pull some images you love for inspiration and think about what else you want: cheers with a friend, cake smash, black & white, or even one or two photos that aren't completely birthday-styled.
Are you ready for your close-up? Here's 40th Birthday Photo Shoot prop list:
- Crown, tiara, hats (I used Kelli's prom crown + my own fascinators)
- Birthday Cake, cupcakes + treats (big lollipops + cotton candy are fun!)
- Sparkling wine, cheeseboard + other details (don't forget wine glasses!)
- Glitter, confetti, balloons, garland
- Outfits (at least two, or one with jackets, accessories, a sash you can swap out) *Don't forget fun shoes!
- Location props: table (with linens), chair, beach blanket, backdrops
- A friend to help!
- photography + set design: Shandon Perez Photo
- cake: Virg @ Eat More Cake Fresno
- cake shoes: Shoe Bakery
- adult tutu and ball skirt: JosephandElynn
- my favorite gluten-free cake mix & flour: Pamela's Products
- hair + makeup: Emily at MUA Fresno
- blue crystal wineglasses + big blue jewelry: my own, obviously
- Thank you millions to Kelli for the cupcake decor/prom crown/lip glossing, and to my redheaded ride-or-die Jules for everything up to my 40th & all the adventures to come.
The 40th Birthday Playlist:
- California Love: 2Pac
- Rest of My Life: Ludacris
- Dessert (remix): Dawin
- We R Who We R: Ke$ha
- Cake: Flo Rida & 99 Percent
- Get Back: Ludacris
- Turn Down For What: DJ Snake & Lil Jon
- Get Low: Dillon Frances & DJ Snake
- Battleflag: Lo Fidelity Allstars
- Let's Go Crazy: Prince & The Revolution
- Uprising: Muse
- Critical Mistakes: 888
- South Side: Moby
- Middle Fingers: Missio
- Controversy: Prince
- Peaches: The President of the United States of America
- Coconut: Sprung Monkey
- Drag the Lake Charlie: Drive-by Truckers
- Gypsy in Me: Bonnie Raitt
- Peace, Love and Happiness: G. Love & Special Sauce