- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup almond, coconut or Gluten Free flour blend
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups Gluten Free chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups plain, unsweetented almond or coconut milk
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces Lisanatti Dairy Alternative Cheddar style cheese, shredded
- 1-3 dashes hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon or more G-Free Worcestershire
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, for topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, for topping
Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute until the vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the Gluten Free flour into the pan and continue to stir for 2 minutes to toast the flour. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Gradually whisk in the stock and then the milk. Stir in the potatoes and paprika, bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth (or puree in batches in a blender). Return the soup to low heat. Add the Lisnatti Dairy Alternative cheese a handful at a time, stirring until melted and smooth after each addition. Season the soup, to taste, with hot sauce, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among bowls and top with crisp bacon and chopped chives.