This Gingered Apricot & Almond Chia Breakfast Parfait is as delicious as dessert - but with a superfood kick and no sugar crash. Mornings made delish.
Article Courtesy: Mary Fran Wiley, Frannycakes
I am the opposite of a morning person and I have the Starbucks habit to prove it. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That you should eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper.
And we all know my penchant for fruity pebbles. And gluten-free doughnuts. And Iced Dirty Soy Chais (my favorite barista calls it a dirty hippie). And, while I don’t suffer from sad desk lunches, I definitely eat sad desk breakfast. A bowl of cereal or granola at my desk while I try to get through my second (or third) cup of coffee.
Those might be some terrible morning habits. Talk about a double crash at 10am. You can do better than that. I can do better than that. Let’s make a pact. Real breakfast.
But we can pretend that it is something else. Like a parfait. A superfood power parfait. I think I could definitely live like this. Plus, the chia seeds give me omega-3s. The ginger is anti-inflammatory. Healthy fats in the almonds help fuel your brain.
Here’s to (almost) dessert for breakfast. And for getting the morning started right.
Gingered Apricot & Almond Chia Breakfast Parfait
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1½ tablespoons agave nectar
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 35 grams (¼ cup) chopped, dried apricots
- A handful of dried apricots and roughly chopped or slivered almonds to garnish
- Whisk together the almond milk, almond butter, agave, ginger and salt so that it is smooth.
- Stir in the chia seeds and dried apricots. Chill for about 2 hours, shaking every half hour or so to make sure the chia seeds don’t clump together.
- Top with dried apricots and almonds to serve.