Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This vibrant soup, inspired by the flavors of South East Asia, hits all the right notes–sweet, spicy, sour and salty. It would also work well with butternut squash or fresh pumpkin.
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated or finely minced
- 1 TBSP GF red curry paste
- 1 15 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups gluten free vegetable broth plus more to thin if needed
- 3 1/2 TBSP lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh cilantro & sliced jalapeno peppers for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until onion is tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, ginger, curry paste, and coconut milk and stir to combine. Add vegetable broth,bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool, uncovered, for at least 10 minutes.
Blend using an immersion blender, or alternatively, blend in small batches in a blender, taking care to vent the lid to allow steam to escape. Return pureed soup back to the pot. Stir in lime juice and salt. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. If necessary, thin with additional vegetable broth until you get your desired texture.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and sliced jalapeno peppers.