BACON-WRAPPED MEATLOAF WITH POMEGRANATE BBQ SAUCE
This Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf with Pomegranate BBQ Sauce recipe is hearty enough for harvest season and uses two of my all-time favorites, bacon & BBQ sauce.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
- 1 lb. ground beef 85% lean
- 1 lb. ground pork
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon gluten free Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup whole milk dairy or unsweetened almond, coconut or rice
- 2/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 8-12 strips gluten free bacon
- 1 cup Pomegranate BBQ sauce or other gluten free barbecue sauce
Pomegranate BBQ Sauce
- 2 shallots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pomegranate concentrate
- 2 teaspoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or more to taste
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes more or less, to taste
- dash of olive oil
Preheat Oven to 350°F.
Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat, sauté onion & garlic in extra-virgin olive oil until translucent; set aside. Put meat in large bowl, add oats or bread crumbs on top (do not mix). In a separate bowl, mix seasonings and wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients and onion/garlic mixture to meat, mix thoroughly but don’t over mix, adding a little more milk if necessary.
Shape loaf on a sheet pan, brush completely with 1/2 of the BBQ sauce. Wrap strips of bacon over meatloaf, tucking ends under sides to secure. Bake until instant read thermometer measures 160°F, about one hour. Serve with remaining sauce.
For BBQ Sauce
Combine olive oil, shallots & garlic in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 -5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, reduce to medium-low heat and cook for 15 minutes (or until slightly thickened). Sauce will thicken more as it cools. If a smooth consistency is desired, process in a blender after cooling.
Serve over grilled or smoked meat or use as a glaze or dipping sauce.