Gluten-Free Whole Grain Cranberry Muffins
These hearty cranberry muffins are chock-full of healthy goodness and fantastic flavor. Try them with a small pat of butter or a drizzle of honey (or both).
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal or ground flaxseeds
- 1 cup certified gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or sucanat or date sugar if desired
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend contains it)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped (use a food processor if you have one)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, unsweetened or fruit juice sweetened
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 banana, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners (or grease well).
Mix the all-purpose gluten-free flour, millet flour, buckwheat flour, almond flour, flaxseed meal, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, xanthan, walnuts and cranberries in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Stir in the sour cream, egg, mashed banana, apple sauce and honey with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated.
Evenly distribute the batter in the prepared muffin tin (I like to use an ice cream scoop for this). Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.