Cowboy Cookies Recipe: A Gluten-Free Holiday Favorite
The quintessential American cookie, these Cowboy Cookies are soft, chewy and filled with almost every goodie imaginable: oats, pecans, chocolate chunks, and even coconut.
Servings: 20 cookies
- 2 cups 270 g gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup | 2 sticks or 454 g butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup 150 g granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup 165 g packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 130 g gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup 90 g semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup 45 g shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup 90 g pecans, chopped
- Flake sea salt, for topping
- Make it Dairy-Free: swap coconut oil for the butter and use dairy-free chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175C).
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, set aside.
Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment on medium-high speed, cream butter and both sugars until fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and beat in eggs thoroughly, then beat in vanilla.
Reduce speed to low, and add in flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Beat in oats, then chocolate, coconut and pecans until just combined.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. For each cookie, drop 1/4 cup dough onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing 3 inches (7.5 cm) apart. Salt the top of each cookie with a sprinkle of flake sea salt. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, 16-18 minutes. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy.