Lately I have been craving FLAVOR. And curries have flavor. I don’t know much about curries except that there’s Thai and Indian and that I prefer yellow and red curries. When I had my youngest, my BFF brought a yellow curry with chicken that I ate everyday for a week. I’m not vegan or vegetarian but I am interested in eating meat/dairy-free more often. You could easily do this with meat as well. You could also change up the veggies to use what you have in the fridge.
Vegan Coconut Curry Recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ″ piece ginger, minced
- 2 small potatoes, chopped in roughly 1″ pieces (or cauliflower)
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped in 1″ pieces (or carrots)
- 1 can coconut CREAM, at Trader Joes OR 2 cans coconut MILK (not light)
- 2 Cups of broth, vegetable or chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Gluten-Free curry powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle olive oil in a large pan and heat on medium. Sauté onions til soft, translucent – it’s ok to let them caramelize a little. Add the garlic and ginger only for a minute or less so they don’t burn. Add everything else (broth, coconut milk, veggies, curry, pepper flakes). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Season lightly, waiting a few minutes before you taste and continue to season. The sauce will reduce and become saltier. Serve with rice, or not!
Article courtesy of Maureen Heck, Coconut XOXO