These Italian Stuffed Meatballs are SO delicious, you’ll want to make two batches! You can serve them on their own with a salad, in a meatball sandwich, or on pasta, of course. I made them with Schar gluten-free breadcrumbs, but you can use any kind you choose.
The stuffed meatballs make a hearty meal on their own. I often eat two or three with a salad for lunch. They freeze well too - sealed tightly in a container for up to 3 months.
I serve them with homemade marinara - I simmer a bunch of fresh chopped tomatoes with some olive oil, garlic and shallots for about 3 hours, until reduced, blend it up, and add it back to the pot with some fresh basil and parsley to cook for about 10 more minutes. The marinara freezes well too!
Scrumptious Italian Stuffed Meatballs Recipe
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup Schar GF breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon GF Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ -1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 8 slices spicy capicola, diced
- 8 slices Genoa salami, diced
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using about 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium sized pan, saute the onions over medium heat until they become translucent. Add the honey and a little more olive oil if the pan looks dry, and cook for 3-5 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef with the eggs, breadcrumbs and Worcestershire sauce. and mix well. Then add the sauteed onions plus all the oil from the pan, along with the parsley, basil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes if you are using them, and mix thoroughly – by hand is easiest.
- Scoop out 18 meatballs: about 2.5 ounces or roughly ice-cream-scoop size, and place them on a rimmed baking sheet or 9×13 pan. Mix the mozzarella, capicola and salami in a mixing bowl. Stuff each meatball by making a hole in the middle and placing 1 tablespoon of the meat-and-cheese mixture in the center. Seal the meatballs well by pinching them back together and roll them together.
- Bake, covered with foil, 40 minutes.
- Serve with Marinara sauce.