2t Cilantro, finely minced
2t Shallots, finely minced
1T White balsamic vinegar
3 Tomatoes, red and firm
1T Olive Oil
1 Bunch fresh thyme
2C Red balsamic vinegar
1T Oil, herb infused
1 Tri-wedge Fresh mozzarella, Gouda or brie
1 Basil leaf, (deep fried optional)
- Heat oven to 200*
- Place cilantro, shallots, and white balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Mix well and place in refrigerator
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes, and remove the seeds.
- Place them on a baking rack. Add a touch of olive oil to the top.
- Then spread the thyme evenly over all the tomatoes.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes
- Tomato should be very soft, but still be able to hold its shape, let cool to room temperature
- While the tomatoes are cooking place the red balsamic in a pot and reduce down to a thick sauce. Once it is reduced place it in the refrigerator and cool.
- Carefully remove the skin and dice the tomato into ¼” cubes.
- Place in a bowl and chill for an hour
- Drain the cilantro mix and add the tomatoes. Try to drain as much liquid as possible.
- Place a cylindrical mold on a plate and place the tomato tartar inside.
- Add the reduced balsamic and herb infused oil on the plate.
- Garnish with a cheese wedge and a basil leaf.
Recipe Entry from Eat Well Event Recipe Contest 2011
Submitted by: Katherine Adkins